About the Memorial Hall

The hall is a purpose built modern hall, rebuilt in 2003, in the heart of the village of Houghton & Wyton in Cambridgeshire to commemorate those that have fallen in the wars.

It comprises of a main hall with a sprung wooden floor that can cater for up to 100 people, a small meeting room called ‘The Hadley Room’ which is perfect for smaller meetings and a catering standard kitchen complete with large oven & hob with a speedy industrial dishwasher. We have disabled access throughout being all on 1 level with a separate disabled toilet and also have baby changing facilities. We also have a hearing loop for those who wear hearing aids to assist with audio arrangements as well as superfast broadband.

There is a small private garden at the rear set with a lawn and attractive borders. We also have our own defibrillator positioned outside the hall for use in an emergency. We sadly don’t have our own car park so advise there is limited on street parking but further parking can be found within the village square or on St Ives Road at the playing field/scout hut.

Please note that due a historical covenant on the building, we are unable to allow any sales of alcohol on the premises.

The Hall is run by a committee of volunteers, comprising of public members and representatives of groups that use the hall.

The Memorial Hall

The Main Hall

The Hadley Room

The Hadley Room

The Hadley Room was named after Pam and John Hadley who were instrumental in the rebuilding of the hall. There is a picture and a plaque which hangs in the room to commemorate their sterling efforts on behalf of the community of Houghton & Wyton.

A very brief history of Houghton & Wyton Memorial Hall

by Gerald Feakes

The first mention about a communal hall in Houghton and Wyton is of a public meeting on the 17th October 1923 when the proposal, “this meeting desires a Parish Hall” was put and passed.  It is not yet known what led to this initiative but there must have been a strong desire to establish a hall because at the meeting a committee was formed, with members carefully selected from both Houghton and Wyton, seven from the former and six from the latter.  Additionally, the proposal “that 1000 debentures* be issued at 5s [25p]” to raise money for the project was also carried and the Rector of Wyton offered Wyton School for the hall for £1,100, “subject to the agreement of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners”.**

Read more…